As the doctor handed me Coby Lane after he was born, I was in complete shock. I had many ultrasounds throughout my pregnancy, but still there was a part of Coby that could not be seen on ultrasound. He had a large nevus (aka: mole) on his knee. He was so little that the nevus covered a large portion of his knee at that time. It scared me to death. I just knew that my precious newborn must have cancer of the skin, even though it had yet to be introduced to the sun. I was terrified. That is until his doctor came in the next morning and told me that it wasn't anything to be concerned about, but that we should keep an eye on it. At that point I quit worrying about his health as far as the nevus was concerned, but that worry was quickly replaced by a new one: that he would one day get made fun of for this "birth mark".
Ever since Coby could talk he's always called it his special pebble that God gave him. He loves his pebble! My uncle has one just like it (even on the same knee). Coby has always loved having that in common with my Uncle Lyn.
To be honest, as the years have progressed I really haven't given Coby's pebble much thought. It hasn't grown in circumference so it's like Coby has grown into it. What once seemed like such a big deal now seems so small and insignificant. However, for some reason the other day I broached the subject of pebble with Coby.
Me: Does anyone ever talk about your pebble.
Coby: They just ask what it is.
Me: What do you say to them?
Coby: It's a pebble! (Simple as that!)
Me: Would you like to have it removed?
Coby: Would it hurt?
Me: No, they'd numb it.
.....Long pause.....
Coby: Well, what I'd really like is to have another pebble over here! (as he points to his other knee)
And to think I was worried!

2 comments:
Sweet boy! What a great outlook he has about it. I hope he keeps it forever. :o)
He wants his mole to be coordinated! Too cute. Give him a brown Sharpie and tell him to have at it!
Carter has a little mole on his thigh, but he says it's not a mole, it's dirt.
Post a Comment