Sunday, March 1, 2009

and so it begins

I've always known that being a mom to all boys would eventually leave me feeling left out at times. I didn't know when or under what circumstance it would happen. Just that one day, like it or not, it would likely happen. Yesterday it happened. It was cold outside so the boys asked if they could watch one of the Star Wars movies (thanks Uncle Clint for letting is borrow your set). I told them they could watch it in Coby's room as I was planning on dusting and vacuuming the living room. I could already hear the griping that would ensue if I turned on the vacuum in the same room they were watching their beloved Star Wars in. Crisis averted!

I went to Coby's room and got the movie going for them. Connor then asked if I could "close the door as you leave so we can enjoy our boy movie in privacy." I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, but I did think to myself here they go already pushing me out of the picture! That is until Coby piped up and said "Wait just a minute Connor, this is my room and I get to decide. Mommy, you can stay!" So sweet.

I always know I can count on Coby. He gives me hope that one day when I turn old, wrinkly and gray (oh, wait a minute I already am turning old, wrinkly and gray) I'll have someone to visit me in the old folks home and help change my diapers. He is our little caretaker for sure. In fact, I just have to post a pic of what I walked into involving him and Cale the other day. I had forgotten to put Cale into his big boy undies after nap time and left him in pull ups instead. Apparently this gave Cale free license to go (potty) in his pull ups rather than take the time to use the toilet. Meanwhile, Cale wanted me to read a book and I said you smell like potty, why don't you go change out of your pull ups first and put on some underwear. He headed off toward his room and Coby said I'll go help him. It shouldn't be too difficult so I thought why not? All he needed to do was take off his pull ups and put on some undies. After about five minutes I realized neither one of them had returned so I went in Cale's room to see what they were up to. This is what I saw:


If you can see past the little piles of laundry (I could tell you that his room is usually cleaner than this, but that would probably be a lie) you'll notice that Coby got out he changing pad and a diaper. I love the scowl on Cale's face. He has the look frequently, but I'll admit he was being a good sport.




Coby must've had him lying there for the entire five minutes while trying to figure out how to get the diaper to stay on. He couldn't for the life of him figure out where the tabs were located. Awl, poor Cale fell prey to Coby's constant desire to be helpful...he is always trying to help me out. I'm still not sure why Coby thought he needed a diaper? I guess he thought since Cale pottied in his pull ups he wouldn't get to wear undies that day. Who knows.



1 comment:

carriefish said...

That's so sweet and funny. I'm actually looking forward to being "left out" by my boys--free time for mommy!!