Thursday, November 12, 2009

the day I became babydoll...again

When Darren and I were dating, he always called me babydoll. I have hundreds of notes that he wrote to pass to me in the hallways of Hefner Junior High (yes, that really shows my age as it is now Hefner Middle School) and on the front, most of them have babydoll written on them.


Imagine the surprise I felt when Coby called me babydoll out of the blue last night. The kids had stayed with Nina and Poppy while Darren and I went out on a date. Nina, of course, loaded their hands with leftover Halloween candy before sending them home. I was saying how much I love Airheads (the candy!) when Coby said, You can have one of my airheads babydoll! Then once we got home, I asked Coby to clean up his room before bedtime and he responded with Okay, babydoll. I could get used to this. What a full circle moment to have my 6 year old son calling me by the name his daddy started calling me when he was 12 (and sadly hasn't called me in years). I don't have any idea why Coby decided to start calling me babydoll, but I hope it doesn't stop any time soon.

post-edit: I had to come back and add something that I just remembered since the whole babydoll calling started up on our way home from date night. A few weeks ago, we told the boys that we were going to go out on a dinner date and Coby looked at me and said, "Ohhhh, you're gonna have a baby!!" Ha, this makes it sound like he knows something about baby-making, which I can assure you that he does not. Knowing that he doesn't just made what he said that much funnier to us.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Great post, Baby Doll...

carriefish said...

Ok, I'm thinking he has some sort of inkling about babymaking from that comment :)
I still have notes and letters from Jon in Jr. High, too (even though mine were passed at church or mailed to camp, not at Hefner!)